Penne with Pancetta,
Best Tasting Pasta
If you would like to try something
different, this delicious pasta dish, Penne with Pancetta,
Spinach and Treviso is a
perfect choice. It is made with roasted garlic, crisp pancetta,
fresh baby spinach, fresh basil, and a vegetable known a Treviso di
Rosso or Radicchio di Treviso.
The treviso comes
from the Italian region of Veneto. It has a mild, bitter taste and
is usually eaten raw or grilled with a little olive oil. then chopped
up in salads. It is a milder form of domestic raddichio and has a
distinct flavor when combined with the pasta and other ingredients.
great way to enjoy this unique vegetable is to brush it with olive
oil, season it with salt and fresh ground pepper , grill it, then top
it with a smoked mozzarella or Scamorza cheese. This dish is
excellent with a nice dry wine, preferably a Valpolicella.
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 4 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1lb of penne pasta
- 2oz of pancetta, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small shallot , diced
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable
- 2 medium heads of Treviso, chopped
- 10oz of baby spinach
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of fresh grated blach
- ¼ tsp of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup of fresh grated
- Drizzle the garlic with a little
olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Roast the garlic in a 350 degree
oven for about 40 minutes.
- Let the garlic cool, then squezze
galic into a small bowl
- In 6 quarts of boiling salted
water, cook the pasta until al dente. Around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a larger skillet,
heat the remaining oil and butter and saute pancetta, onion and
shallots for about 12 minutes until onions are slightly golden and
panchetta is slightly crisp.
- Add the chicken broth and stir in
the roasted garlic.
- Add the raddichio, spianch and
basil and cook until they wilt.
- Season with salt, black pepper.
And red pepper flakes.
- Drain the pasta and place in a
large pasta bowl.
- Toss in the radicchio mixture with
the cup of cheese.
Don't forget to click on the logo below and subscribe to my
That's a discovery! That's Italian! Thats
Leave Penne with Pancetta,
Spinach and Treviso
and Return to Italian Recipes
Leave Penne with Pancetta, Spinach and Trevisp and
Return to Best Tasting Pasta Recipes
Copyright 2014 by Great Chicago Italian Recipes.com. All Rights Reserved