This Artichoke Risotto is a beautiful
dish. Smooth, creamy and rich with flavor. Fresh artichokes are
best for this recipe but frozen artichokes will work just as well.
The best types of rice for making risotto are Arborio,Carnaroli
or Vialone nano. These round grained rice are starchy and will
produce a creamier risotto than long-grained rice.
Traditional risotto is made with fresh
grated Parmesan cheese. If you want enhance the flavor you can add
some Romano or Asiago cheese to the mixture. On some occasions I have
even added Guyere or Taleggio cheese to the dish. Just experiment
until you discover the flavor you enjoy the most.
Pairing wine with artichokes can be
tricky. Sometimes they make reds seem bitter and whites unusually
sweet. I find that this dish tastes best with a Sauvignon Blanc or a
nice Chenin Blanc.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbls butter, divided
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 10 baby artichokes, trimmed, quartered
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of fresh Italian flat leaf
- In a medium saucepan bring the broth to
- Add the artichokes and cook for around
10 minutes while preparing the rice
- In heavy pot over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbs of butter in the
- Add the onion, garlic and shallot and sauté until soft and
golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the artichokes to the pot.
- Cover and cook until artichokes begin to brown, stirring often,
about 8 minutes.
- Add rice and stir 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and stir until liquid is absorbed, about 1
- Add 1 1/2 cups warm broth and stir until absorbed.
- Add more broth 1/2 cupful at a time and stir until the liquid is
absorbed. Continue adding the liquid until all the broth is used.
Stir often, until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, about 20
Serves 4 People
Don't forget to click on the logo below and subscribe to my
That's a discovery! That's Italian! Thats
Leave Artichoke Risotto and Return to Italian Recipes
Leave Artichoke Risotto and Return to Pasta Recipes
The Italian Grocer |
Italian Heritage |
Italian Chefs |
New Contest |
What‘s New |
Restaurant Reviews |
Your Reviews |
Appetizer Recipes |
Soup Recipes |
Salad Recipes |
Bread Recipes |
Vegetable Recipes |
Pasta Recipes |
Poultry Recipes |
Beef Recipes |
Pork Recipes |
Veal Recipes |
Lamb Recipes |
Seafood Recipes |
Pizza Recipes |
Cooking for Kids |
Italian Cheese |
Italian Wine |
Dessert Recipes |
Coffee and Espresso|
Italian Dinner Music |
Food Glossary |
About the Cook |
Share This Site |
Submit Your Recipes |
Your Italian Recipes |
Copyright 2015 by Great Chicago Italian Recipes.com, All Rights Reserved