Sicilian Braised Chicken
There are many varieties of this sweet
and sour Sicilian chicken dish. You can add pine nuts, raisins,
parsley, basil or capers to change it up a bit. In this particular
recipe I used a combination of pineapple chunks, capers and raisins.
This Sicilian Braised Chicken dish is
best served with a side of vegetables like artichokes or sauteed
greens. It is full of flavor and very simple to make. I chose to
use chicken breasts but the legs and thighs work just as well.
Sicilian Braised Chicken can be served
with a nice Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
- 4 chicken breasts,boneless and
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup of flour for dredging
- 3 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs of butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 15oz can of pineapple chunks,
- 3 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 15oz can of chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 Tbs capers
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and dredge them
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken breasts in the oil and
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and peppers and saute around
7 to 10 minutes until slightly tender.
- Add the pineapple and vinegar to the pan and cook for 2
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Add the wine and reduce by half
- Add the chicken broth and bay leaf and cover and simmer until
chicken is tender. Around 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the raisins and capers and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- Plate the chicken and top with the peppers and onion mixture.
Serve with vegetables or on top of pasta.
Don't forget to click on the logo below and subscribe to my
That's a discovery! That's Italian! Thats
Leave Sicilian Braised Chicken and Return to Italian Recipes
Leave Sicilian Braised Chicken and Return to
Italian Poultry Recipes
The Italian Grocer |
Italian Heritage |
Italian Chefs |
New Contest |
What‘s New |
Restaurant Reviews |
Your Reviews |
Appetizer Recipes |
Soup Recipes |
Salad Recipes |
Bread Recipes |
Vegetable Recipes |
Pasta Recipes |
Poultry Recipes |
Beef Recipes |
Pork Recipes |
Veal Recipes |
Lamb Recipes |
Seafood Recipes |
Pizza Recipes |
Cooking for Kids |
Italian Cheese |
Italian Wine |
Dessert Recipes |
Coffee and Espresso|
Italian Dinner Music |
Food Glossary |
About the Cook |
Share This Site |
Submit Your Recipes |
Your Italian Recipes |
Copyright 2014 by Great Chicago Italian Recipes.com, All Rights Reserved